Claim Your FREE Visa Assessment

Do you need a temporary visa that allows you to work in Australia?

Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa (Subclass 457)

What is a Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa (Subclass 457)?

This is an Employer Sponsored visa.

It gives you (and your family) the right to live, and work in your skilled occupation, in Australia for up to 4 years. As the 457 Visa Holder, you can also travel to and from Australia as often as you need to. If you hold a Subclass 457 Visa, your business sponsor can nominate you for a permanent employer sponsored visa. Being nominated starts the process of obtaining permanent residence in Australia.

All sponsoring employers must be Approved Business Sponsors. If the business has been trading for less than 12 months, then the initial visa duration is 18 months. Employees must be nominated by employers to fill a genuine position within the employer’s business.

When in Australia, you must work exclusively for the employer who sponsored the visa. To work for another employer, you – as the Visa Holder – must arrange to transfer your 457 Visa to that other employer, or apply for another type of visa.

Who would a Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa (Subclass 457) suit?

A Subclass 457 Visa would suit you if you fulfill the following:

  • You have been nominated by an approved Australian employer within six months prior to your application
  • You are skilled and have the experience or qualifications necessary for fulfilling the nominated position
  • You have appropriate English language skills
  • You meet the health and character requirements of the Australian Government

Please note you don’t have to be formally qualified to be able to apply for a Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa (Subclass 457). The requirements for this Visa recognise past work experience as proof that you have the skills necessary to fulfill the duties of your occupation in Australia. Professional occupations require at least five years experience, and trade occupations and professional diploma level occupations require a minimum of three years of experience.

When can you expect your Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa (Subclass 457) to be approved?

The processing time for the Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa Subclass 457 can be found at the:
Australian Immigration and Border Protection Website

How do you apply for a Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa (Subclass 457)?

This Visa Application is a 3-step process:


Before taking any action, your first step is to contact Aus Visa Specialists to check that this visa suits your individual needs best. Aus Visa Specialists has successfully assisted many employers and applicants with their Subclass 457 Visas.  Simply fill in the “Claim your Free Visa Assessment” form on this page and one of our friendly team members will do their best to assist you.


Hilda Dhanaraj, Australian Registered Migration Agent 0107755

Phone: 08 9368 5899   or   Mobile: 0439 931 545   OR   Email Us