Child Visa Subclass 101

Home / Child Visa Subclass 101

Child Visa Subclass 101

If your child is currently living overseas, Child Visa Subclass 101 will allow you to bring them to Australia to live with you.​​​

What is a Child Visa (Subclass 101)?

A Child Visa (Subclass 101) is a permanent visa that allows an eligible parent to sponsor their child to live in Australia.

The sponsored child can include their own dependent children in this application.

The child must be outside of Australia when the application is lodged and granted.

The sponsoring parent does not need to be in Australia at the time of the Child Visa application.

Who would a Child Visa (Subclass 101) be suitable for?

The Subclass 101 Visa would suit a child who:

  • is outside of Australia
  • is sponsored by their parent or their parent’s partner (and who is also classed as an ‘eligible’ parent)
  • is younger than 18 years of age, a full-time student between 18 and 25 years of age, or is unable to work due to a disability and dependent on the sponsoring parent
  • is single (does not have a spouse, is not engaged to be married, and does not have a de facto partner)
  • meets the Immigration Department’s health and character requirements
  • has no outstanding debts, or has arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government

What is an ‘eligible parent’?

An eligible parent is someone:

  • who is an Australian Citizen, or
  • who holds a current Australian permanent resident visa, or
  • who is an eligible New Zealand Citizen
  • who is the biological parent of the child, the adopted parent of the child, or a step-parent who has a legal responsibility to care for the child

Please note: an adopted child must have been adopted before their sponsoring parent became an Australian Citizen, holder of an Australian permanent resident visa, or an eligible New Zealand Citizen.

Other requirements of an eligible parent / sponsoring parent:

  1. You have the written consent of each person who can legally decide where the child lives
  2. The laws of the child’s home country permit the removal of the child
  3. This arrangement is consistent with any Australian child order
  4. You meet certain character requirements
  5. You will support the child and meet their living needs and accommodation, and not rely on welfare

When can you expect a Child Visa (101) to be approved?

The processing times for a Child Visa (Subclass 101) can be found at the:
Australian Immigration and Border Protection Website

How do you apply for a Child Visa (101)?

Applications for Child Visas in Australia are a serious matter to the Australian Immigration Department. If the department does not believe that a visa to enter Australia is in the best interests of the child, then the visa will not be granted. Let Aus Visa Specialsits assist you to ensure you have everything you need to lodge a successful application. Contact us today to find out how we can help your child gain permanent residency in Australia.

Hilda Dhanaraj, Australian Registered Migration Agent 0107755

Mobile: 0439931545  OR  Email: