Child Visa Subclass 802

Home / Child Visa Subclass 802

Child Visa Subclass 802

Do you have a child who is currently in Australia that you want to be able to stay with you permanently within Australia?

What is a Child Visa (Subclass 802)?

A Child Visa (Subclass 802) is a permanent visa that allows an eligible parent to sponsor their child to live in Australia.

The child must be in Australia when the application is lodged and granted.

Please note: The child cannot apply for this visa if they currently hold another visa that has a ‘No Further Stay’ condition.

Who would a Child Visa (Subclass 802) be suitable for?

The Subclass 802 Visa would suit a child who:

  • is currently in Australia
  • is sponsored by their parent or their parent’s partner (and who is also classed as an ‘eligible’ parent)
  • is younger than 18 years of age, a full-time student between 18 and 25 years of age, or is unable to work due to a disability and dependent on the sponsoring parent
  • is single (does not have a spouse, is not engaged to be married, and does not have a de facto partner)

What is an ‘eligible parent’?

An eligible parent is someone:

  • who is an Australian citizen, or
  • who holds a current Australian permanent resident visa, or
  • who is an eligible New Zealand Citizen
  • who is the biological parent of the child, or a step-parent who has a legal responsibility to care for the child

Other requirements of an eligible parent / sponsoring parent:

  1. You have the written consent of each person who can legally decide where the child lives
  2. The laws of the child’s home country permit the removal of the child
  3. This arrangement is consistent with any Australian child order
  4. You meet certain character requirements
  5. You are willing to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age
  6. You will support the child and meet their living needs for their first two years in Australia, and not rely on welfare
  7. You will provide adequate accommodation
  8. You will assist the child to settle in Australia
  9. You will assist the child in attending any required English Language Classes
  10. You are committed to informing the Australian Department of Immigration, in writing, if the child’s circumstances change in any way that could affect the child’s eligibility for a Child Visa or your eligibility to sponsor the child.

When can you expect a Child Visa (802) to be approved?

The processing times for a Child Visa (Subclass 802) can be found at the:
Australian Immigration and Border Protection Website

How do you apply for a Child Visa (802)?

As this visa involves the welfare of a child, the Australian Government is very vigilant in their criteria. The best interests of the child is the main focus of this visa. If you want to secure a visa for your child so they can remain in Australia then please talk to us first. We can help reduce the stress, and pave the way to a successful child visa application quickly.

Hilda Dhanaraj, Australian Registered Migration Agent 0107755

Mobile: 0439931545  OR  Email: